The Osteopathic Foundation of West Michigan is a community health and education foundation. Our mission is to measurably improve fundamental wellness in the Muskegon-Lakeshore area in the tradition of osteopathic medicine. We support programs that improve access to healthcare, nutrition, physical activity, and a sense of belonging.
We serve a four-county area with a wide range of needs. As we look at overall data on wellness factors, we see some definitive needs.
Health Challenges in Our Service Area
- Need for Wellness: Muskegon County ranks 81st of Michigan’s 83 counties for healthy behaviors.
- Access to Primary Care: Michigan is short nearly 1,000 primary care physicians; in rural areas, patients travel more than 30 minutes for care.
- Obesity: More than two-thirds of area residents are obese or overweight.
- Opioid Crisis: Muskegon County averages one heroin overdose per day.
- Suicide: Rates in our rural counties are nearly twice the state average.
In light of these needs, how do we most effectively serve our community? There are two key areas of focus.
l.) Physician Development: Developing a community of caring physicians to serve the Lakeshore is one of the most vital aspects of our healthcare future. From OsteoScholars to Continuing Medical Education, we encourage more physicians to practice longer and more effectively.
2.) Grant Funding: Donors who support the Community Grants Fund help us leverage our collective gifts for maximum impact. We offer three types of grants:
- Healthcare Access Grants: We provide support to establish clinics in under-served areas and specialties to keep high-quality care close to home.
- Strategic Wellness Grants: Many local nonprofits are meeting sensitive and critical needs for area families. These annual grants fund equipment and evidenced-based wellness programs.
- Grants for Immediate Needs: Sometimes small but immediate needs must be addressed. We fund grants up to $1,000 to meet these critical needs.
In our 2019 Impact Report, you’ll see investments in each of these areas as we work alongside you and so many generous partners to bring wellness within reach for every member of our community.